torsdag 11. november 2010

The Kite Runner - The Movie


Last week we watched The Kite Runner in class. Regarding to that the movie is based on a book, I liked it very much. Often the director doesn't manage to catch the sence of the book making the movie, but the director of The Kite Runner really did.


When I wrote my double entry journal, one of the paragraphs I chose was when Hassan and Amir met Assef and his gang in the alley. This is one of the moments in the movie that I really related to from the book.


This is the paragraph and what I wrote about it.

Page 35 and 36.
His blue eyes flicked to Hassan. “Afghanistan is the land of Pashtuns. … We are the true Afghans, the pure Afghans, not this Flat-Nose here. His people pollute our homeland, our watan. They dirty our blood.” … he reached for something from the back pocket of his jeans. “I’ll ask the president to do what the king didn’t have the quwat to do. To rid Afghanistan of all the dirt, kasseef Hazaras.”
“Just let us go, Assef,” I said, hating the way my voice trembled. “we’re not bothering you.” Oh, you’re bothering me,” Assef said. …” You are bothering me very much, more than this Hazara here. How can you talk to him, play with him, let him touch you?” he said, his voice dripping with disgust.
… Assef slipped on the brass knuckles. Gave me an icy look. “You’re a part of the problem, Amir. If idiots like you and your father didn’t take these people in, we’d be rid of them by now.”…Assef raised his fist and came for me. There was a flurry of rapid moment behind me. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Hassan bend down and stand up quickly. Assef’s eyes same look of astonishment on Kamal and Wali’s faces as they too saw what had happened behind me. I turned and came face to face with Hassan’s slingshot.

Through Hassan and Amir’s childhood, their worst fear has always been Assef and his friends.

Here they meet the three boys when they are out playing. Assef lectures Amir about how he is a bad Afghan, housing Hazaras. Amir is scared to death, he know he’s not able to stand up for himself in front of Assef. It is when Assef is just about to hit him that Hassan steps in, saves his friend.

He threatens Assef, say he will blind him on one of his eyes if he tries to hit Amir. Assef and his gang disappear, but Hassan is going to pay for this later, and then nothing will ever be the same again.

1 kommentar:

  1. Yes it is easier to understand how important this part is in the movie when you have read about it in the book. Perhaps you could have written a little more about how you thought they movie managed to portray this particular incident. Otherwise this was a good paragraph to use.

    SvarSlett